Your Invisalign aligners are free from bacteria and practically invisible when they arrive. To keep them in great condition, you’ll need to know how to properly clean and care for your aligners. Here are some tips from our Richmond BC dentists on how to do that.
Low-Profile Orthodontic Treatment With Invisalign
For orthodontic patients who are concerned about looking their best while correcting issues with bite and misalignment, Invisalign clear aligners can be an ideal treatment option.
Did you know that your clear aligners will be almost invisible to others while you’re wearing them? That means that hardly anyone will notice that you’re straightening your teeth.
Caring for Invisalign Aligners
Here are some tips for cleaning your aligners. Following these practices will help keep your clear aligners in great condition and as clear as possible:
- Sticking to your treatment schedule means you’ll need to wear your aligners for a minimum of 20 to 22 hours each day. When you do need to remove your aligners, help protect them from damage by storing them in the handy protective case that comes with them.
- It’s important to remove your aligners whenever you eat or drink anything except cool water. While coloured beverages can stain your aligners, hot drinks may cause them to warp.
- Before putting your aligners back in your mouth, always brush and floss thoroughly to prevent food from getting trapped between your teeth and your aligners.
- Clean your clear aligners using mild soap and a soft toothbrush, or by rinsing them in clean water before returning them to your mouth. This will keep plaque and bacteria from building up.
The Invisalign Cleaning System
Help keep your aligners hygienic, clear and odour-free by using the Invisalign® cleaning system.
How to use the 6-Step Invisalign cleaning system:
- Remove and rinse your clear aligners.
- Use warm water to fill the cleaning container, then place the aligners in the container.
- Sprinkle in one packet of Invisalign cleaning crystals into the container, then shake gently for 20 seconds.
- Using the Invisalign solution, soak your aligners for 15 minutes.
- After soaking, remove any debris from your aligners by gently shaking the container.
- Remove your aligners from the solution, rinse well in warm (not hot) water, and put your aligners back in.